imaginations sorted

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

One thousand eight hundred and twenty five days later- MISS OBLIVIOUS artist statement



1,825 Days in Seattle



In 2006, I put my family of 4, my handmade dolls, my zines, plus 2 black cats into a U-Haul and drove 800 miles from California to the Pacific Northwest. I was 33 years old and ready for a change.



One thousand eight hundred and twenty five days later, the photographs you see in this exhibit capture those changes that I was looking for, changes that would forever alter my being.



From the gritty wonderland of Circus Contraption, Seattle’s leading dark circus show, down cobble stone streets to The CanCan Cabaret and into

ZAPP, were I climbed the stage for zine reading carnivals.



Included here is my adoption by a sphere of females, where together we formed a craft group, the WACKY MAMA’s, and later, through many inebriated and full moon nights with conversations of gris gris. We transformed into

“The Teflon Sisters” an enchanted circle of art zine publishers.



In my 5 years I have documented and participated in events such as NOISEFORTHENEEDY, Dark Avenue, Skinny Dip, Josephine, IHEARTRUMMAGE, International Cabaret Fests, HardTimes, Mourning Market, The Bad Things,

Tin Hat drinking sessions & Snackhole: to name a few.



I captured all of these images of my new peers that hold court in my heart and the performers that opened my spirit.

Watching children grow and friendships strengthen.

I have documented our every move.

After these 1,825 days I encourage you all to make change, document your happenings and appreciate life!



…..xoxo Miss Oblivious now KOOK Teflon



Gala Opening

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=125579260867206

No comments: